I miss writing my 52 Weeks Of Happy posts.
I always used to post them on a Friday. I enjoyed that feeling of looking back over the past seven days combined with the anticipation of the coming weekend, that Friday feeling. Today I feel like writing about the things which have made me glad over the last week as I believe wholeheartedly that small pleasures should be celebrated and cherished, as they add up to a big happy life, so here they are.
1. A sunny spot to sit with a cup of tea after school.
2. A New Book, this one. It's a gem, one to treasure. I bought it "for the kids" but really it's for me. To be honest, I feared my two had long since outgrown any book which began "My first..." but they love it. Bella read it to herself, while Angus makes me read it to him, especially the page on tadpoles, we've had that one a lot.
I bought it in my local bookshop after seeing a pile on the table and browsing through it. You just can't browse properly online, can you, especially for picture books. It's divided into the four seasons and full of succinct, almost poetic prose and detailed illustrations. It's a gorgeous book, good for babies, children and adults alike.
3. After school garden play.
4. My new light bulb from Nook. I'm obsessed with it. It gives a soft, golden, almost candle-lit glow over the room and I love the way the filaments look.
5. The bluebells that grow under the apple tree every spring. And some white bluebells, too.
We were taught as children to never, ever, pick wildflowers (especially bluebells) and so I get a thrill from knowing that these are mine, and I can pick them if I want to. Not that I do, I'd rather see the colour in the garden than in the house.
6. I tried a new craft, jewellery making, and made some necklaces. I learnt how to tie fancy knots and where in Leeds you can buy jump rings and end caps, should you need to. I found the pattern in issue 37 of Mollie Makes and fancied having a go. Two are gifts, one is for me.
They came out nicely, on the whole. I kept the navy one.
7. Monday. It was warm and sunny and on the spur of the moment I caught the bus into Leeds (on my own - bliss!) and got some bits and bobs I needed, but mainly I wandered around, browsing and swinging my bag which is my New Favourite Thing because you can put absolutely everything in it. It's capacious, plus it makes me feel a bit like I'm on holiday, like I'm a bit French.
8. Chevrons! I am addicted. They are so zigzaggy and pleasing, up and down you go, changing colour here and there. These colours are left over from my cushion and that cashmerino yarn is dreamily soft and will make the most gorgeous cowl.
Well, that's a bumper list of happies! I'll have to scale it down a bit if I make this a regular thing, I don't want you all getting bored. There are a few purchases up there which is unusual for me. Forgive me, we are still giddy about receiving our first paycheck in many months. I think the odd bit of retail therapy is fine, don't you? Another thing that makes me happy - you lot. You lovely people, who read and comment and offer your support and friendship: thank you.
I hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend.